Thursday, May 31, 2012

2 healthy recipes you need to try


I swear this is not a food blog.  But goodness, I do love to cook.  And a blessing upon the person who invented pinterest and gave me even more encouragement (not that I need it) to try new recipes and methods simply because they look and sound interesting.

Here's two recipes I've made this week that you should try.  One I've made a bajillion times and can't get enough of, and the other is new to me but a new fave.  BOTH are impossibly easy.

First up is my favorite fresh guacamole.  There's nothing like it, and can I just say that chopping all that stuff up is FANTASTIC therapy after a particularly rough day at work?  Thanks.

Rach's Guac
adapted from: Jess's Guac

Ingredients: 
1 medium tomato
1 medium onion (red is my fave, but yellow or white will do)
2-3 ripe avocados
lime juice (fresh or bottled)
garlic salt
cilantro (fresh is best)
 
Chop everything up and mash it all together in a bowl.  I add a healthy couple dashes of lime juice, a seriously healthy shake of garlic salt, and either a good shake of dried cilantro or chop up a big handful.  You can also add in fresh parsely if you can't tell it apart from the cilantro in your herb planter on the porch...oops.
 
The only way to make guac is by taste.  Try it and see if the flavors gel well together.  I usually end up adding a lot more garlic salt to get just the right blend.  Other times, I'm in a lime-y mood and throw more of that in.

If you're not used to working with avocados, check out this handy video.  It changed my life for real.

Roasted Cabbage Wedges 
adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients:
1 head of cabbage
kosher salt
black pepper
paprika
olive oil

Line a baking sheet with foil.
Brush the baking sheet with a little olive oil.
CAREFULLY slice your head of cabbage in slices an inch or slightly thinner.
Lay your slices out on the baking sheet (1 big baking sheet was enough for a small head of cabbage).
Brush the tops of the slices with a little more olive oil.
VERY generously sprinkle the slices with kosher salt and give them a good grind of black pepper.
Sprinkle with paprika.
Throw them in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes.
The edges will be brown and crispy and the middle will be tender and flaky.

I served this with polish sausage, but seriously, I could eat it for days.  So delish.


In non-food news, it's almost Friday, and therefore, almost prom night!  Mind you, chaperoning prom is certainly not the same as attending in high school, but it's still kinda fun :)  More about that this weekend!  Hope you've had a great week!
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. i love guac. we have an avocado tree, so i can do a million things with avo. but, the cabbage...now i've never seen this done. it looks and sounds like it would be wonderful with sausage! i am going to try this!!

    [oomph.]

    ReplyDelete

talk to me!